Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Giving An Arts Experience

I've been piano-less since we moved east from Carson City, NV in 2001. As a milestone birthday approaches, I've been re-examining my life and what's really important to me. What did I discover? I really miss playing piano and the experiences that wash over me each time I "tinkle the ivories".

Note: I don't play very well at all. After almost ten (10) years without a piano, this fact has been compounded significantly. However, I can still plunk out "On A Clear Day" without too many sour notes.

By this time next week, I hope to have a new piano in my living room and as the New Year approaches, I'll be dusting off more of my old music and enjoying the experience of learning how to play and engaging myself in a creative endeavor.

A big thank you to Jim Hayden (Hayden's Music in Tanglewood Mall) for allowing me to try my hand at various pianos and educating me about the construction of pianos (They have more parts than a car!). With my purchase, I also receive FREE piano lessons and I can't wait to start. Yes, I'll even look forward to scales.

I realize this purchase is a slight diversion from Virginia GEMS (Give Experiences. Minimize Stuff.) www.myvirginiagems.com but I feel I'm still making a contribution to an experiential gift of art. Also, the piano lessons do count! (Although Hayden's provides you with 8 (eight) free lessons I know I'll need more.)

Consider an experiential gift of art, tickets to a play/concert, and yes, you can even give yourself a present. The rewards will be great; not just for you, but for your family and our local arts community.

No comments:

Post a Comment