Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Movie Magic

Although I came down with the flu over the holidays, I accomplished one very important item on my list: watch Gone with the Wind with my mom. The movie celebrated its 70th anniversary this month and I wanted to see it again (and all the great special DVD features, which did not disappoint!).

This was the first time I'd seen the movie since moving back east with my family. I had a completely different experience this time around; partly because I now recognize some of the places they mention (Bull Run, Gettysburg - where I went with my husband several years ago - when we lived in Manassas, and of course Virginia). Also, my mom shared new stories with me and her grandfather who watched the soldiers marching through Virginia (Yes, I grew up LA but my mom's family lived in Clifton Forge.)

The special features included interviews with individuals charged with digitizing the Technicolor film and in most ways, improving the quality of the film. (Right down to patterns of lace in Scarlette's white dress in the opening sequence.)

I was taken with these new types of "artists" working tirelessly to painstakingly preserve and protect this incredible treasure. I feel indebted to them for their skills, time and talent to ensure that this film and all its splendor, remains for generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment