Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Roanoke City Pride through the Arts

I try to read The Roanoke Times every day. I'm old fashioned and like my paper copy. So does my mom. (She lives with us in Elliston, VA.) She reads the paper first and I ask her to save articles for me; that is, those that are arts related. (Just in case I don't have time and miss some important news.)

I chastised her this weekend as I almost missed the article about The Taubman Museum of Art by Kevin Kittredge. The Taubman? Guess Again. (Saturday, December 12, 2009)

http://www.roanoke.com/extra/wb/229456

Kevin wrote about the Taubman Museum and invited readers to see comparisons to the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain. I encourage everyone to read Kevin's article. I teared up as I read it and felt a huge sense of pride about our arts community. We have a lot to celebrate even though times are incredibly tough.

Thank you Kevin for seeing the Taubman with "brand new - and in some ways, newly appreciative - eyes". Does every one need to go to Spain so they can come back with "new eyes"? Perhaps. But for now, ponder Kevin's reflections and see if you see our arts community with "new eyes" too.

Join us. The view really is spectacular!

No comments:

Post a Comment